Monday, March 23, 2009

This Week

Okay, so anyone who knows me, knows that I am not an animal person. Coreen volunteered me for a cat (Cringer), that we have, and now we have a dog. This weekend, Glen decided that before he deploys we need a dog. He wants us to have something to help keep us safe while he is away. Although the dog we ended up with is so mellow that I'm pretty sure that he is not going to be much protection. He must not have much confidence in my shooting abilities. So anyway, we ended up spending most of the day Saturday at the Humane Society looking at dogs, and talking to an adoption counselor to find a dog that would be perfect for us (of course the dog that would be most perfect, would be not to have one). So, anyway we ended up with a 3 year old Chocolate lab named Logan (he came with the name). I said no to puppies because I can't handle housebreaking an animal, plus Jeremiah would probably try to carry a puppy around by its fur. Logan is housebroken, thankfully and crate trained (although a crate his size is going to be rather expensive) and knows the basics like sit and out. The kids absolutely love him, and they are the ones who take him outside and walk him around the neighborhood. I'm sure that will be short lived. We did all go for a walk on Saturday, Elly ran down a hill and through a puddle of mud and lost a flip flop. We looked for about 20 minutes, and never found it. She ended up having to walk the rest of the way home with only one flip flop. After they get used to having him, they won't be so excited about walking him. The weather has been so nice the past week, that I took Elly and Jeremiah to the zoo twice this week. Elly absolutely loves the zoo. Her favorite animals to go see are the Gorillas. Jeremiah love the petting zoo. He followed the little goats all over the place. This zoo is so big I could probably go there almost every day and still not look at the same things. Elly is very upset that she has to wait 3 days for Grandma to come visit. She is so excited that she is going to be here for her birthday. She thinks Grandma should take her home with her for a few days. This past week was pretty nice. Glen was back and forth between night and day shifts, so he was home a bit more during the week. He has started to out process for his deployment. He got to take a class because he is deploying to a combat zone. It had lots of cool stuff (for him) he got to learn some krav maga which is hand to hand or close combat mainly for threat neutralization. He of course absolutely loved it. Plus they get to go on a field trip to go shooting. Overall he thought it was a great class. He also had to go get his anthrax vaccinations (not something he thought was so great), he gets to wait until he is in the Desert before he has to get small pox. He can't get it here because the boys have eczema. So it is starting to get close to deployment time. The kids are getting a little anxious. He hasn't deployed since any of the kids can remember. The last time he was gone was when Ashleigh was 2 1/2 and Jayson was 18 months. This one will only be half the time as that one, so I guess that is good. We still have about 3 weeks before he leaves. Well I have a bunch of cute pictures, and not much to say, I was out of anything worth while to say a long time ago. So anyway, I guess I will go. Oh and I let Elly take a picture of Jeremiah and I. He was mad because he thought he should be able to play with the camera. I thought it was a funny picture. He has the funniest expressions.










3 comments:

The Byrdhouse said...

Nice dog! Hey, I don't like animals either, and two dogs later, here I am! Labs are really good pets though, I have to say. And mine are really mellow too, but if a stranger comes to the house, it's another story. At least he'll give you enough warning to get your gun!!!

Ellura said...

I don't have to share a room with Logan do I? I should bring Elly home - I would love it. She, however, would probably be crying for mommy the first night.

Micaela said...

Oh, wow! You guys got a dog? How funny! I actually have thought it would be nice to have protection while Phil's away, but I wouldn't want to keep up with the dog and the kids. He's beautiful!! And if I ever were to get a dog, it would be a lab. :)